I thought I was going to die’ Waitress’ awful allergic reaction to hair dye.

WAITRESS Tina Littlewood thought she was a goner ­after an allergic reaction to hair dye.

GOING GREY GRACEFULLY: Tina has vowed never to dye her hair again
The 41-year-old suffered horrific burns while colouring her locks at home with a kit.

Her head swelled to the size of a ­rugby ball and she could not open her eyes for five days.
Tina was covered in weeping blisters and had to be treated with a cocktail of drugs in hospital.

She said: “It was so terrifying that at one point I thought ‘This is it, it’s over – I’m going to die because of a hair ­colour’.
“It was so terrifying that at one point I thought ‘This is it, it’s over – I’m going to die because of a hair ­colour”

“It was agony. I thought I would be left blind if not worse.”
Six weeks later the swelling has gone down but she says her arms and legs are still scabby and itchy.
Tina has now vowed to go grey and never colour her hair again.

She said: “It isn’t worth it. It was the most terrifying experience of my life – I never want to go through that again.”
Trouble started when she decided to use Clairol’s Nice ‘N Easy before ­visiting her son Matt, 24, a soldier based in Norfolk.

Despite dying her hair on and off for 20 years Tina, from Catterick, North Yorks, says she still followed the ­instructions and did a test patch on her skin.

Nothing happened so she put on the dye. But within 20 minutes her head began itching.

Tina said: “It got worse and worse so I went to bed and tried to forget about it. When I woke up in the morning I was in agony.
“The itching was so intense and I couldn’t open one eye. I looked in the mirror and my head was like a rugby ball.”
She broke out in a rash and weeping blisters appeared on her head.

Her husband Glenn, 41, rushed her to a doctor who prescribed anti-­histamines to reduce the swelling.

But her symptoms continued and by that night both Tina’s eyes had closed up. She said: “My pillow was soaked in pus. It was running off my head and from behind my ears – it was disgusting.
“I couldn’t even open my eyes.”
Related articles

Glenn took her to hospital where she needed steroid injections. Doctors compared her burns with those of fire victims.
Tina was given antibiotics and more anti-histamines but it was three days before she could open her eyes.
She said: “I burst into tears of relief because I had my sight back.

“Then I posted pictures on Facebook to warn all my friends and family. I’ll never dye my hair again.”
Clairol told us: “The safety of the people who use our products is our first and most important priority, so we’re concerned to hear about this.

“Allergic reactions are very rare and hair colourants are extensively ­researched to ensure they are safe when used as directed.

“Millions of women safely and ­successfully use home hair ­colourants many times each year.”