Tiny Rosie Lansbury was saved by a sandwich bag – after she was born weighing just 1lb.

She was so small her mother was warned the tiny tot might not survive.

But after being delivered at 28 weeks doctors slipped her straight into a plastic sandwich bag to keep her warm.

It saved her life and she was later transferred to an incubator where she made a full recovery.

Natasha, 25, from Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, said: ‘I cried when they showed me pictures of her in a plastic bag.  I didn’t understand until they explained it was like a mini incubator. I am so proud and so lucky. The doctors were amazing and Rosie benefited from a lot of very high technology, but it was a simple plastic bag that saved her life.

‘If it wasn’t for that she might not be here.’

Rosie was born by emergency c-section on 12 September last year – 12 weeks before her due date on December 1st.

Single Natasha, who also has a seven- year- old son called Alfie, had gone to Barnet General Hospital for a routine scan when doctors became concerned that her baby had stopped growing.

‘They were worried because she was measuring very small, only the size of a 22 week baby. That’s when they realised my placenta had failed and her life was at risk if they didn’t ’ says Natasha.

Further checks revealed the tot’s heart was starting to slow and medics made the decision to deliver her immediately. She was rushed straight to theatre.

‘I was warned it was very early and that she might not survive but I did my best to stay positive and hope and pray for the best.’

Rosie was delivered straight into the sandwich bag and taken to the neonatal unit.

She was two hours old when Natasha saw her for the first time.

‘She looked like a raisin, all wrinkly and pink. Her skin was see through and her ears hadn’t even developed.’

When Natasha was shown a picture of her daughter in the plastic bag she was astonished.

‘She was now surrounded by machinery and monitors but I was told it was the plastic bag that has saved her by regulating her temperature and keeping her warm before they could get her into the incubator.’

It was three days before she could hold her baby.

Natasha spent every day at her baby’s cot willing her to pull through. She needed a machine to help her lungs and underwent three blood transfusions.

Rosie stayed in hospital for almost three months until doctors allowed her home late last year.

She still needs oxygen to help breath but medics expect to be able to take her off soon and say she has made a perfect recovery.

She is now six months old and weighs 8lbs 15oz and still wears clothes for newborn babies.

But Natasha says she is full of character and can’t wait to spend her first Mother’s Day with her daughter.

‘We are going to be celebrating home because all I want is to cuddle and hold her in my arms and think about how lucky we have been.

‘My son Alfie will make me a card and sign it from him and his baby sister. She’s his little miracle too.’